Warmer weather is here! And now is the time to start preparing your backyard for a pest-free summer. To help keep pests out of your backyard and out of your home, our experts have provided some tips to help:
- The native mosquito species common around our area are active all day long, so plan on having plenty of insect repellant containing an EPA-registered active ingredient like DEET or Picaridin available. Also use fans to deter mosquitoes since they are weak fliers.
- Yellow jackets and other stinging insects are attracted to fragrances from shampoo, perfume and candles—not to mention food and drink. Avoid using scented items before you spend time outside, and provide clear plastic cups for your guests as aluminum cans and plastic bottles are good hiding spots for stinging insects.
- Prior to an outdoor party, check screen doors and repair any holes. And with guests coming in and out of your house, make sure the doors close behind them.
- Keep all food and beverages in sealed coolers and containers. Use upside down cupcake wrappers as drink covers.
- Keep garbage containers sealed and away from guests.
- Clean trash, spills and crumbs immediately from tables and other surfaces.
- Bring utensils and dishware indoors shortly after the meal.
- Rinse all beverage bottles and cans, and dispose of them in tightly closed garbage containers.
- Plan to serve food and beverages indoors, and reserve outdoor space for eating and entertaining.
- Remove or drain sources of standing water in your yard that could be a breeding ground for mosquitoes, including birdbaths, wading pools or garden ponds.
We recommend regular inspections from your Terminix Service Ins., professional. For more information on our services, click here.